Friday, March 30, 2012
Shilpi is my cousin. She contributed her Kalakand recipes to this blog. It looks yummy!! We used to spend our summer holidays together in our grand parents house. Our grandma bought us few earthernware utensils for us to play with. I remember preparing sweet pongal in those clay pots and forcing everyone to taste it...:) Those were also the days I started learning to use sewing machine. Shilpi used to gather all the sarees(even new sarees) from our auntsand our mom's, I used to sew the ends of the sarees for my practice. And then Shilpi packs each saree in a newspaper and distribute them to their owners. We used to collect 2 rs for our work...hahaha. I cant stop laughing now by remembering all those fun days. Atlast our elders banned us from touching their sarees.
Ricotta Cheese -150z
Condensed Milk - 14oz
MilkPowder - 1/2 cup
Almonds for garnishing
Unsalted Butter 4tb spoons.
Sugar - 1/4 cup (Add only if the milk powder is unsweetened)
Cardomons - 5
1. Take a microwave safe bowl add butter and microwave for 1 minute. Mix Ricotta Cheese, Condensed milk, Milkpowder, sugar and mix properly as shown in the below picture.
2. Microware for 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Add Elaichi powder and mix properly.
3.Take a plate and grease with little butter.Pour the mixture and spread.
4.Garnish with almonds. Let it cool down and cut in to square or dimond shaped pieces.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
I have been searching to buy a simple mail organizer in white color so that it can match with the other things in our living room. I couldnt find one which i am looking for. And i thought why not i make one with some card board and fabric. My husband got a white XXL T-shirt from his office with his office logo in the front. I used it in the process. Here is how to make it.
Take a card board cut it in a rectangle shape. Cut it in a way that one small side of the rectangle is pointed in shape. See the picture above. Cut the fabric and sew it to the entire card board by pulling it tight. Then to make 3 folders, take 3 fabric pieces of same length. Here i used the fabric from the lower part of the T-shirt. So that we can already have some finished look. First sew the top folder on the 3 sides, leaving open on the top. Sew the second folder from 1 inch on the bottom of the first folder. Sew the third folder from 1 inch on the bottom of the second folder. Take 4 inches of fabrric with 1 inch width to make a hanging loop. Sew it to the pointed edge of the finished organizer. I painted some nail polish here and there to add a bit of color to it. Hang it on a wall to a push pin. I hanged a pista shell flower on it. It gave a more attractive look to the mail organizer.
Friday, March 23, 2012
2 cups Gram flour
1/2 tbsp Red chilli powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
Long Green Chillies
Oil for deep fry
2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
2 tbsp Corriander Seeds
2 tbsp Cumin seeds
1. Wash green chillies and dry them. Make a slit vertically to remove the seeds to reduce the heat of the chillies.
2. Roast all the filling ingredients seperately and grind them all the together, add half a lime juice and mix well. Stuff this mixture in the chillies.
3. Combine Gram flour, red chilli powder, baking soda, cumin seeds by using some water. Add some hot oil to it while mixing, it helps to get crispy bajjis. Make a medium thick batter consistency.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Dip the chillies into the batter and drop in the hot oil. Deep fry until you get golden brown color. Serve hot.
Monday, March 19, 2012
Recently while cleaning the house, i found a few cardboard boxes which occupied a lot space. We really dont need them anymore. So, I gathered them all and thought of doing something useful with them. I came up with the idea of wall decor with cardboard and fabric. I have some clothes which i no longer prefer to wear. So, i tore them up used in the process.
These pieces are made with shoe box, cereal box, diaper box, camera box etc.
Using scissors,Cut the cardboard in a way that it has 2 inch sides on all the 4 sides. Use the tape to seal the edges. It should look just like a canvas. Cut the fabric an inch more than the cardboard. Pull the opposite edges tightly and staple them. Fold them nicely in the corners and staple the other 2 opposite edges. Ta da...ur wall art is ready.
Make a bunch of them in different sizes. Hang them on the wall by using push pins. It gives a colorful look to your room with no cost.
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Life is a bit busy with my baby. She wants me to entertain her all the day. She screams even if i leave the room. Now a days i get to cook only while she is sleeping or only when my husband takes care of her. I made this this veg manchurian a few weeks ago. It is a perfect dish for a relaxed evening in the weekends.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGETABLE DUMPLINGS
Chopped spring Onion
MANCHURIAN SCUACE INGREDIENTS
Chopped spring Onion
Sweet and sour scuace
1. Blend all the vegeatbles coursely. BOil these vegetables with some water until they are almost done. Drain the vegetables. Squeeze them and save the water to make manchurian scuace. This water is called vegetable stock.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients to the cooked vegetables and mix it well and make small dumplings. Deep fry them until golden brown colour. Keep them aside.
3. Heat Oil in a pan, add chopped garlic, ginger, onion and Chilli. Fry for a minute. Then add pepper powder, soy scuace, chilli scuace, sweet and sour scuace, ajnamoto and salt.
Add the vegetable stock and mix well.
4. Now,mix corn flour with some water to make a thin liquid. Add this to the pan to thicken the scuace. Let it boil for 2 minutes.
5. Add the fried vegetable dumplings to the boiling scuace. Switch off the heat. Serve hot.