My baby is introduced to brown rice ragi mudda in her 10th month. She loves the dish...:) I always try to feed my baby more nutritious food. So, I substitite brown rice in the place of white rice in which ever dishes possible. I believe in soaking the rice for atleast 8 hours before cooking because it helps our bodies to absorb the nutrients more. If you wanna prepare ragi mudda for tommorows breakfast or lunch, you need to soak the rice tonight.Here goes the recipe..
Brown Rice 3/4 cup
Water 5 cups
Ragi Flour 1 cup
1. Fry the rice for 2 minutes. Let it cool down then grind it into a coarse powder(like ravva). Soak the powder in 2 cups of water for overnight.
2. Bring the remaining water to boil in a thick bottomed vessel, then add the soaked rice powder along with the water in which it is soaked in. Stir continously on a medium heat to avoid lumps. Once it starts boiling reduce the heat to low. Cook until the rice is soft.
3. Then add the ragi flour and just leave it on top of the cooked rice without mixing it for 5 minutes. This step helps to avoid ragi flour lumps in your ragi mudda.
4. Now add salt and stir the whole mixture with a wooden stick until well combined.
5. Serve hot with ghee on top of it.
You can find my recipe for ragi mudda with white rice here