Monday, May 26, 2008

Lemon Rice / Chitrannam



Lemon Rice is a popular dish in Andhra. It is a must in any festive menus. While vinayaka chavithi festival, lemon rice is given as prasadam at those temporarly build stalls for the lord. My brother and his friends used to organize such a stall in our street.Back then, we kids used to go again and again to have darshan of lord Vinayaka secretly hoping to get the prasadam again. We used to go visiting each and every stall in the nearby places. At the end of the trip we decide which is the best Vinayaka statue and which one is the best prasadam given.Those were the fun days...:)



INGREDIENTS

Rice 2 cups
Small Onion 1( Chopped lengthwise)
Green Chillies 5
Cilantro
Mustard seeds 1/2 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tbsp
Few Curry leaves
Red Chilli 2
Peanuts 1 tbsp
Cashews 1 tbsp
Chana Dal 1 tbsp
Urad Dal 1 tbsp
Large Lemons 2
Oil 3 tbsp

PREPARATION

1. Cook the Rice. Place it in a wide tray to cool it down.

2. Heat oil, add mustard seeds. When they pops add Cumin seeds, Peanuts, Cashews, Chana dal, Urad dal, Red chilli, Curry leaves. When the nuts are roasted add onions. Cook till the onions are soft.

3. Grind green chillies and cilantro with just some salt. Dont make it a paste. Add this mixture to the cooked onions. Simmer it for 5 mins and switchoff the stove.

4. Meanwhile juice the lemons into a cup. Add some salt to the juice. When the rice cools down add this lemon juice to the rice and mix well. Then add the above mixture of nuts and onion to the rice and mix well with your hand. Add salt and lemon juice as per your taste. Garnish with Cilantro.

7 comments:

kedar said...

mee vntaluu excellent ga vuntayee pictures ee antah superb vuntay enkaa food ela vuntadoo ....ur husband is lucky,Would appriciate if you can post sm dishes which are goos for health like rich in protiens i mean for people who are health concious .Thanks in Advance

Siri said...

Hi Kedar...thanx for visiting my blog. Non veg recipes kooda post chesthanu...Keep visiting..:)

kedar said...

Thanks Siri

Unknown said...

Chitrannam...hmmm...this item reminds me of a funny incident in my childhood, my dad got posted to gooty when i was in my 9th class and in my school i asked my classmate as to what she brought she answered Chitrannam..I thought it was some variety dish, but in the lunch hour all i could see was pulihora...then i said this is not chitrannam...all had a hearty laugh..later i got the difference btn pulihora and chitrannam at your place..thanx for the recepie...u reminded me of my childhood

Unknown said...

this title at an instant made me realise you were form either anantapur or kurnool district...but uggani and oliga made it clear that you were from anantapur...ah..the diversity in our state and Country...I LOVE IT..!

Unknown said...

this title at an instant made me realise you were form either anantapur or kurnool district...but uggani and oliga made it clear that you were from anantapur...ah..the diversity in our state and Country...I LOVE IT..!

Siri said...

Yes, people get really confused with our chitrannam. When i moved from my hometown i encountered similar situations...:)